February 15, 2016

Selective Sacrifice

Lent is something that I no longer celebrate mainly because I'm no longer Catholic. Don't get me wrong: I absolutely believe there is value in fasting, prayer, and reading more of the Scriptures. However, I often don't know how to react when people tell me what they're giving up for Lent. Often what they're giving up is the same type of thing that I gave up for Lent as a kid while growing up Catholic: things like sweets, TV, and pizza. Adults nowadays will add coffee and alcohol to that list. Honestly, I don't mean to be judgmental, but I have to ask "Why?" Giving up these things really isn't much of a sacrifice, is it? Especially if it's only for 40 days. I never hear anyone saying that they're giving up a prideful heart or gossiping for Lent.

Why doesn't anyone want to give up those things that hinder their relationship with God as outlined in Paul's letter to the Galatians and in his letter to the Ephesians:
"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God." - Galatians 5:19-21 (NIV 1984)
"Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice." - Ephesians 4:31 (NIV 1984)
Coffee, tea, chocolate, and pizza don't come between you and God. Pride, selfishness, bitterness, gossip, rage among other things do hinder your relationship with God. What good is giving up coffee if you are still full of bitterness? What good is giving up sweets if you are filled with envy and gossip? And honestly, if you can  recognize that a certain type of entertainment contributes to lustful or otherwise impure thoughts, why not give it up permanently? It's true that we are to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Jesus - meaning we're to give up our pride, our way, our dreams, and even our life if necessary, all for the cause of Christ. But we're to do that every day not just during Lent. Giving up something for Lent doesn't make you holy or righteous and it cannot add to the finished work of Jesus' perfect sacrifice on the cross. With this in mind, maybe it's time to reevaluate those things that we truly need to give up, by the grace of God.

Edit: One final thought - giving up coffee, TV, or chocolate are all things that I can do without God's help using my own willpower. Ridding myself of bitterness, anger, and other forms of malice, cannot be done without God's help. I must depend on the grace of God to be rid of these things. May it be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...